Understanding your end-users in Gimbal just got easier with Analytics User ID. Previously, Gimbal’s Analytics just exported the App Instance ID – a randomly generated ID by Gimbal – & MAIDs (if collected) to uniquely identify an individual end-user. However, there were some disadvantages to this approach:
- Most users will not share a MAID with your application, therefore it is not a reliable identifier across your user base.
- Gimbal’s App Instance ID is randomly generated at the device level, therefore your application must map to it & store this ID in your own backend to later identify that user via any reporting.
- Many users utilize multiple devices with the same account, but Gimbal’s App Instance ID is generated at the device level instead of account level.
- Third-party integrations have no easy way to synchronize their data with Gimbal’s data without a unified identifier.
This is why Gimbal’s Analytics User ID was created. The Analytics User ID allows your application to set the preferred identifier for that end-user through the Gimbal SDK. This means that alongside the App Instance ID & MAID, you’ll also now be able to recognize your end-users with an identifier already stored in your backend. This creates some noticeable advantages:
- Any end-user can have your identifier associated with Gimbal Events, whether logged in with a stored identifier or some random guest identifier used generically by your application.
- The Analytics User ID is not randomly generated by the Gimbal SDK, and instead is an identifier already associated with that user on your backend.
- If an end-user utilizes multiple devices with the same account, Gimbal Events can be associated with all devices through the Analytics User ID.
- Third-party integrations can easily rely on your identifier, or if you don’t have an identifier you can set a third-party identifier as the Analytics User ID.
The Analytics User ID represents a step towards greater segmentation, audience creation, and dynamic understanding of your end-users during those key moments captured through the Gimbal SDK. For more information please reach out to your Customer Success Manager.