Gimbal allows you to add your own non-Gimbal, Third-Party Beacons, to our platform and test them using the iBeacon protocol albeit with some limitations. We recommend using Gimbal beacons and the Gimbal Secure Mode for added security, encryption, ease of use, scalability, and a better all around location experience.
Third-Party beacon functionality allows you to activate your own iBeacons and get some of the benefits and features of the Gimbal platform. These beacons can be added to any new or existing Places and require SDK version 2.40 and above. We always recommend you download our latest SDK.
- Navigate to the “Beacon Management” page
- Click on “Activate Beacon” in top navigation
- Select “Third-Party iBeacon” in drop down menu in “Beacon Type”
- Name your Beacon
- Enter the Proximity UUID, Major & Minor
- Check Create Place (defaulted to instantly Create a Place with your beacon activation)
- Click on “Activate iBeacon” button
Best Practices for Third-Party Beacons:
We make it easy for customers to use our platform who have existing iBeacons that have already been deployed. This allows customers to buy any other beacon form factors which are not provided/supplied by Gimbal directly. Existing customers can also leverage third-party iBeacons/Eddystone in our platform.