“Place” is the naming convention in Gimbal Manager for a Gimbal-defined construct for triggering proximity events via Geofences & Beacons. Gimbal geofences allow you to create a set of lat/long boundaries and triggers for a specific geographic area. Gimbal beacons allow you to define an RSSI value, or signal strength, for entering & exiting that Place.
Naming conventions are key to understanding details about that particular ‘place’. The information you include in your Beacon and Place names should be unique to that place to easily identify where exactly it is located related to the city, state, and store name.
- Create and consistently use a standard naming convention to avoid misunderstandings and to be able to identify if a place has moved, closed or if a new place has to be created.
- Determine what information is important to you and your management team, keeping in mind how you would like to query your data and segment your marketing campaigns. Some examples of this type of information are the following: Brand Name, Store Name, Store #, City, Department/Location, etc.
- The names you use will appear in your Gimbal Manager Analytics/Dashboards and should be clear and quickly understandable at a glance by your IT, Marketing, Ops, and senior management teams. You should include only the minimal information needed in the Beacon or Place name to distinguish it as a unique location and nothing more.
Geofence Place Name Template: [Store Number]-[Brand]-Geo-[City]-[State]-[Zip]
- Ex 2: 1234-JT-Geo-SanDiego-CA-92101
Beacon Name Template: [Store #]-[Brand Name]-[City]-[Department Name or Location]
- Ex 1: 11330-JT Apparel-Long Beach-Kids_Shirts
Ultimately, the information you include in your Beacon and Place names will be unique to your company and will include what’s most important to you and your management team. We’ve provided some best practices and recommendations above and some templates and examples to assist you in quickly setting up your Beacons and Places in your Gimbal Manager account. Hopefully, this advice will allow you to get the most from your Analytics/Dashboards in Gimbal Manager and more easily segment marketing campaigns at scale.