(Optional) Create, assign and apply a new configuration to your Beacon
Gimbal Beacons are designed to never need configuration when used in conjunction with the Gimbal SDK as integrated into your mobile application. In fact, more than 95% of our Beacons that have been deployed as of this writing have never been reconfigured. However, should you want to adjust certain settings, you may do so.
Note: presently, an iPhone® 4S or newer is required for this step. Formal support for iPad® and other operating systems may be available in the future.
- Visit https://manager.gimbal.com/and login with the Gimbal Developer Account (and organization, if configured) used to activate your Beacon
- Navigate to ‘Beacon Configurations’ and create a new Beacon Configuration by clicking on 'New Configuration' button.
- Navigate to ‘Beacons’ and find the Beacon name or ID you wish to configure
- Assign the new configuration to that Beacon by clicking ‘Edit’, choose ‘Configuration’, select the desired configuration, and clicking ‘Save’. Your desired configuration should now show up in the ‘Assigned Configuration’ column
Note: At this point, you have assigned a configuration to your Beacon in Gimbal Manager on the web but you still need to apply the configuration to your Beacon.
Once your Beacon shows a different ‘Assigned Configuration’ vs. its ‘Applied Configuration’ in Gimbal Manager on the web, you’re ready to apply the configuration to your Beacon.
Applying configuration to a Beacon using Gimbal Beacon Manager
To see and apply the configurations to your Beacon from a mobile application, download the Gimbal Beacon Manager application from the App StoreSM on an iOS® device and login using the same Gimbal Developer Account (and organization, if configured) which you have used to activate your Beacon. Once logged in, you will see all of your Beacons that are powered on and near your device under the My Beacons tab.
- Ensure that the Beacon you wish to apply the configuration to is powered off
- Launch the Gimbal Beacon Manager on your phone and if you haven’t logged in previously, login using the same Gimbal Developer Account (and organization, if configured) you activated your Beacon against
- In the Gimbal Beacon Manager app, choose the ‘Configure’ from the pull down menu. Make sure that the application stays visible on the screen during the configuration process
- Power on the Beacon by switching the internal switch from ‘Off’ to ‘On’. Once you’ve done so, you’ll notice a green light flashing on the exterior of the Beacon for approximately 10 seconds. Not only does this indicate that the Beacon is powering on, while the green light is slow-flashing, it is ready to be connected to and configured by the Gimbal Beacon Manager application. Note: To power off the Series 10 beacon, simply remove the battery.
- Within a few seconds, the Gimbal Beacon Manager application will detect the Beacon and connect to it. This will be indicated on the Beacon by a fast flashing green light as well as in the Gimbal Beacon Manager application. If Gimbal Beacon Manager does not connect to the Beacon within 10 seconds, please power off and power on the Beacon again. If you continue to experience problems please contact Gimbal support for assistance
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the Gimbal Beacon Manager application to apply any firmware and/or configuration updates. Once complete, disconnect from the Beacon in the Gimbal Beacon Manager application
- Your Beacon will automatically exit configuration mode indicated by the status light going solid (green if batteries are good, red if batteries need to be replaced), and then after 3 seconds, the light will turn off as the Beacon enters its normal operational state
Note: If you wish to reconfigure a Beacon that is powered on, you may do so by simply holding the exterior button for 3 seconds until you see the light start to flash slowly.